Saturday, January 19, 2013

Chai!

I don't know about you, but I adore tea, especially chai. I have tried so many brands and blends, and one of my favorites was Celestial Seasonings Sweet Coconut Thai Chai. I had bought a box of it at some random cast-off store (don't worry, it wasn't expired) but when it ran out, that was it! Although I did see some online, I can't find it anywhere locally.



When I saw a recipe on Pinterest for homemade chai mix, I re-pinned and eventually made it. I followed the recipe almost exactly, except for the spices. I haven't tried this recipe the way it is written in that link, so I can't compare; however, I do believe my changes may add a little more robust flavor (and perhaps, if I may be so bold, authenticity. I'm really not trying to be a jerk, I promise! I just really depend on that black pepper element in my chai).

my kitchen has the worst lighting!

Here is the recipe, with my changes noted with an asterisk:
  • 1 cup dry powdered milk
  • 1 cup non-dairy powdered coffee creamer
  • 1 cup French Vanilla flavored non-dairy powdered coffee creamer
  • 2 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened instant tea
  • 2 tsps. cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 tsp. ground cloves
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg
  • *~1/4 to ~1/2 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
  • *1 tsp. cardamom (I know the original recipe suggests cardamom, but opted to forego it because of the expense. I bought some cardamom on sale for about $10, so if you really want to add it, just price shop and look for a good deal! I do think it makes a difference!)
Place ingredients in a large bowl and mix with a wire whisk until well blended. Then, using a blender or a food processor, blend small amounts (~1cup) at a time until the mixture becomes a fine powder. (Beware of this process... I had a bit of a dust cloud in my kitchen that would rival a desert sandstorm!)
Pour the well-blended mix into a large air-tight jar ($5 at Ikea) and label as desired... may I suggest Sharpie on Washi tape?

To make your drink, add 3tsp. to a mug of hot water. Enjoy!

pic taken at Cedar's house... i love her mugs!


xo
enid

No comments:

Post a Comment