Monday, December 31, 2012

Curry Candied Sweet Potatoes

Happy Holidays! I hope everyone has had an enjoyable time with all of your traditions and loved ones. I certainly have!

This Christmas, I made "my" Curry Candied Sweet Potatoes. I posted a pic onto Instagram and there was some interest in the recipe, so I decided to share here on my blog. I'm not an amazing cook by any means, so when I get something right, I'm extra proud!

To be fair, my recipe is based on one from the Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook, but I have added curry to give it a kick.




INGREDIENTS:
  • 6-8 medium sweet potatoes (I prefer raw and uncooked red yams, as opposed to canned yams)
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 cup butter, or margarine, melted
  • 1 20oz. can crushed pineapple, undrained
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. sweet curry powder  (you can use up to 1 tsp. depending on how much of the curry flavor you'd like in the dish. I have found that the 1/2 tsp. is plenty for my family members with less-adventurous palates)

1. Wash, peel, and cube sweet potatoes, and place in slow cooker.*
2. Combine remaining ingredients into a bowl, mixing well. Pour over sweet potatoes.
3. Set slow cooker on High, 4 hours.

After about 2 hours, you can start to mash the potatoes with a mashing tool or a fork, then stir occasionally until time is up. The reason that I prefer to delay the mashing is so that the texture of the potatoes remains chunky as opposed to smooth.
*If you prefer a smoother texture, boil the potatoes until soft before placing them in the slow cooker. You can also put the mixture into your standing mixer after it has cooked for a few hours to smooth out the lumps even more.





It is so delicious and unexpected! I hope you enjoy this dish as much as I do. And it's extremely easy... I bought all the ingredients at 11am on Christmas morning and had the sweet potatoes on the table at my mother's house by 6pm Christmas evening.

I have been quite busy making a lot of stuff, especially for Christmas gifts, so please bear with me as I get accustomed to blogging more regularly! Also, brooches from my show at the Next Door Gallery will soon be available for purchase online.

Love,
Enid


No comments:

Post a Comment